Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pondering the 'M' word

So, I've been thinking a lot about the 'M' word lately. I mean, I'm a girl. Technically we're thinking about it from the first time that we meet a guy. But back to the point. I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago and found myself wanting to get married. Normally at weddings, I'm like, "Oh, that's nice ... for when I get married." And this time I was really wanting it more.

So it got me to thinking (love that phrase, btw!) about what it means to be a spouse. I mean, if I'm serious about marrying this boy, I'm going to be serious about the meaning of marriage.

To me, marriage sort of makes that other person your other half. As in, whenever you need anything - whether it be physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually - you go to them first. A spouse is supposed to be your rock when those things fail. And so, if I'm thinking about marrying someone, I want to make sure that they are going to be able to supply all those needs (because I'm pretty sure that in a lifetime of marriage, you're going to need help with one or all of those at some point).

And so, alas, this is what my mind is fondling with now.

No comments: